Previous names

  • 1900
Certificate no 3692
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Location Brightlingsea
Vessel type Oyster Smack
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea
Built in 1900
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Primary engine type None
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Depth
5.50 feet (1.68 m)
Breadth: Beam
0.50 feet (0.15 m)
Air Draft
60.00 feet (18.29 m)
Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.72 m)
Tonnage: Gross
18.00

History

SHAMROCK CK200 is a 45ft Aldous smack built in 1900. SHAMROCK joined the Colchester Oyster Fishing fleet and for many years was watch boat for the Mersea and Tollesbury Oyster Fishery Co. Ltd. During the winter 1962/63 she was moored on the River Blackwater. On a particularly cold night in January 1963 she was wrecked by ice borne in on the tide.

Salvaged by Cecil Stebbins, she was rebuilt and converted to a gaff cruising yacht by Brian K Thomas from 1967-71. When offered for sale in the Old Gaffers Association Newsletter in 1980, by Tony James of Exmouth, Devon, she was described as a ‘classic smack conversion, maintained to highest standard, based on the Exe’.

From 1970-80 there was constant renewal and restoration of SHAMROCK. In 1970 she was refastened and recaulked. Over £6,000 was spent on maintenance and improvements since 1974, including new 70 HP Ford diesel, new boom, bowsprit and running rigging. As a result, SHAMROCK received an excellent survey in May 1980 and was in immaculate condition for her age. SHAMROCK was fully equipped for extensive cruising and was the winner of Class 1 South West Old Gaffers Race in 1980.

SHAMROCK is known to have formed part of the Exeter Maritime Museum collection, but in 1996 the Museum was closed and the collection dispersed. Around 2004, she was seen at Southwold needing a major rebuild, she was also reported to have been seen in a yard in Lowestoft around 2011, just opposite the International Boatbuilding Training College. In 2016 her whereabouts were reported as unknown via Facebook. Several people remained interested in her and posts confirmed she was at Lowestoft Marina, having been there for a few years. In March 2017, she was purchased and returned to Brightlingsea, with the intention to undertake a full restoration.

Key dates

  • 1900

    SHAMROCK built by Aldous & Sons in Brightlingsea

  • 1963

    Wrecked by ice borne in on the tide on the River Blackwater

  • 1967

    Salvaged by Cecil Stebbins then rebuilt and converted to a gaff cruising yacht by Brian K Thomas

  • 1980

    Winner of the Class 1 South West Old Gaffers Race

  • 1980

    Sold by Tony James of Exmouth, Devon

  • 1996

    Part of the Exeter Maritime Museum but the museum's closure in 1996 saw the collection dispersed

  • 2004

    Reported as being seen at Southwold needing a major rebuild

  • 2011

    Reported to have been seen in a yard in Lowestoft, just opposite the International Boatbuilding Training College

  • 2017

    Purchased and returned to Brightlingsea for a full restoration

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Sallie under sail - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1907 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Alberta under sail - port side.

Registered, built 1885 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Gamecock moored

Registered, built 1907 by Collar, Whitstable

ETHEL ALICE - under sail. Starboard side

Registered, built 1897 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea