Registration number 3790
Status Replica


Function Replica
Subfunction Tender
Location St Ives
Vessel type Tender
Current use Community Vessel
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No


Builder Nance, Jonny, Devon
Built in 2005
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Replica definition True Replica
Number of decks 1
Propulsion Manpower
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
5.29 feet (1.61m)
0.83 feet (0.25m)
Length: Overall
13.00 feet (3.96m)


This unnamed vessel is a replica of a St Ives Punt known as SILAS PUNT, built for the mackerel boat JONADAB by William Bryant in 1910. The replica was built in 2005 by Jonny Nance of Devon, and was launched at St.Ives, Cornwall at Fair Mo that same year.

Punts were essential for St.Ives fishermen working from a tidal harbour as a means of getting to and from their vessels and for landing fish. Consequently they were stoutly built and flat-bottomed in order to float readily even when laden. A bulkhead fitted beneath the 4th thwart afforded a clear space to stand when the punt was otherwise filled to the gun'ls with fish. In the crowded harbour there was no room to row conventionally; instead they were propelled with a single oar using the notch cut into the top of the transom - a technique known locally as 'scullying'. Punts were frequently carried on the deck of the larger Mackerel luggers especially those heading north for the herring season.

In 2012, Jonny Nance was commissioned to build a second replica punt for the St.Ives Jumbo Association as a tender to the second Jumbo, WILLIAM PAYNTER. She was launched at 'Boats in the Bay' in St.Ives in 2013.

Key dates

  • 2005

    Built by Jonny Nance, Devon

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Soleil d'Or underway at Falmouth, 2018

Registered, built 1956 by Curtis & Pape, Looe

Calshot - rainbow, Dec 2019

Archived, built 1929 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Woolston, Southampton

port side view

Archived, built 1934 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne

Berneray port side view

Registered, built 1952 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie