Previous names

  • Silver Stream
Certificate no 38
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Launch
Location Kennet and Avon Canal
Vessel type Open Launch
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Burgoine, C & A, Hampton Wick
Built in 1890
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Steam
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam
Boiler type Fire Tube
Boilermaker Bennet of Bristol
Boiler year 1999
Boiler fuel gas

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
6.50 feet (1.98 m)
Depth
2.00 feet (0.61 m)
Length: Overall
41.60 feet (12.69 m)
Tonnage: Gross
2.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

LADY LENA, an electric launch, was built by Burgoine's at Kingston on Thames in 1891 for the Immitch Fleet and used until 1911.  She then moved to Bedford and was renamed SILVER STREAM.

Abandoned in the 1960s and restored in the 1980s.  An engine fitted in 1985 is believed to have been built by T Clarkson, Chelmsford, date unknown. The boiler was built around 1942 by Merryweather & Co, Greenwich. The hull was restored by Terry Hardwick at Bath between 1980-2. The plant was fitted by owner in 1982-3. She was re bibbed in 1997 - 1998 with oak.

We are lacking information on this particular vessel.  If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact

Sources

Steamboat Register: An illustrated Register of surviving steam vessels in the British Isles (May Edition 6, 1994) pub: Steam Boat Association of Great Britain

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Otto - boiler engines

Registered, built 1896 by Forrestt & Sons Ltd, Wivenhoe

DUCHESS OF ARGYLL. Under way September 1999

Archived, built 1883 by Unknown

Kariat - underway

Archived, built 1897 by Liquid Fuel Engineering Company, Isle of Wight

Waterlily - port quarter

National Historic Fleet, built 1866 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Chiswick