Previous names

  • Hotspur 11
Certificate no 383
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Excursion
Location Inverness
Vessel type Excursion
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Rowhedge Iron Works Co Ltd, Rowhedge
Built in 1936
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 3
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
59.97 feet (18.29 m)
Tonnage: Gross
44.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

KENILWORTH was built in 1936 at Rowhedge Ironworks, Colchester as HOTSPUR II, for General Estates, who operated a ferry service between Southampton's Town Quay and Hythe, on the other side of Southampton Water. Originally, she could carry 300 passengers. In 1979, she was sold to Clyde Marine Motoring Ltd and moved to Scotland to operate a ferry service between Gourock and Kilcreggen and Helensburgh. Renamed KENILWORTH, she operated for twenty-eight years and remained largely unaltered. In April 2007, she was replaced on that ferry service by a newer vessel, and started a new service from Greenock and Helensburgh to Blairmore and Lochgoil. In 2009, she was sold and moved to Inverness where she still runs public and charter trips to the Firth of Clyde.

Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.

Sources

Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Henley - Port side

Registered, built 1896 by Clark, Edwin & Co Ltd, Brimscombe

Watchful sailing

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Fellows & Co, Great Yarmouth

Regal Lady relaunched as Dunkirk Ship floating museum Feb 2021

National Historic Fleet, built 1930 by Fellows & Co, Great Yarmouth

Streatley on Thames

Registered, built 1905 by Salter Brothers Ltd, Oxford