Details
Construction
Dimensions
History
KATRINE was built by Whitstable Shipbuilding Co. between 1910 and 1911 as a Smack Yacht of larch and pitch pine on oak with an elm keel. She was built for W A Fraser, who owned her until 1921. Between 1921 and 1929, she was owned by S Herring, who installed a 2-cylinder Bergius paraffin engine. Between 1929 and 1934 she was owned by J Penzer, AD Sharpe and JP Phipps, and AD Sharpe solely.
In 1934, KATRINE was purchased by Commander G C Steele VC, who owned her until 1955. Steele was the Captain Superintendent of the Thames Nautical College training ship HMS WORCESTER from 1928 to 1957, and KATRINE was used for sail training for the cadets aboard, who knew her as the ‘Captain’s Yawl.’ She was skippered by Captain McCulloch of the Royal Marines. During this time, she had two different engine changes, with a 4-cylinder Morris petrol engine being installed in 1949 and replaced by a 6-cylinder Morris petrol engine in 1954.
In 1955, KATRINE was purchased by Wallasea Bay Yacht Station Ltd, and her engine was removed the following year. In 1957, she was purchased by R King, who fitted a 4-cylinder Bergius 30hp paraffin motor. in the 1960s, she had a succession of owners, all based in Maldon, Essex: IS Macfarlane between 1960 and 1961, PH Shaw between 1961 and 1966, H Benham sometime after, and J Dines after that.
At some point, she was purchased by P Butler of Shotley, Suffolk, who completed a major rebuild and rerigged her as a gaff cutter. In 2025, she was donated to her current owner, the Heritage Marine Foundation, who are based in Maldon, Essex, and who are restoring the vessel.
Key dates
-
1910
Built by Whitstable Shipbuilding Co. between 1910 and 1911
-
1920s
Fitted with a 2-cylinder Bergius paraffin engine
-
1934
Purchased by Commander G C Steele VC, Captain Superintendent of the Thames Nautical College training ship HMS WORCESTER, and used as a sail training vessel
-
1949
Fitted with a 4-cylinder Morris petrol engine
-
1954
Fitted with a 6-cylinder Morris petrol engine, which was removed in 1956
-
1957
Fitted with a 4-cylinder Bergius 30hp paraffin motor
-
1960s
Primarily based in Maldon, Essex
-
1970s-80s
At some point, purchased by P Butler of Shotley, Suffolk, who completed a major rebuild and rerigged her as a gaff cutter
-
2025
Donated to the Heritage Marine Foundation, Maldon, Essex, who will be restoring the vessel
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk