Certificate no 445
Status National Historic Fleet


Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Lighter
Location South Shields
Vessel type Dumb Lighter
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder Unknown
Built in 1913
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
23.64 feet (7.21 m)
Length: Overall
56.95 feet (17.37 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


ELSWICK II was built in 1913 at Bill Quay, for Vickers of Newcastle.  She was originally towed by tugs, but an engine was installed later.  She is an example of a type of clinker hulled wooden dumb-lighter barge used in the area of the Tyne and Wear rivers.

Although this vessel is on the National Historic Fleet, we are currently lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.


Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp148, Edition 2, 1993 
The last Tyne wherry - Elswick No. 2 Information Sheet

Key dates

  • 1913

    Built at Bill Quay, Tyne

  • 1913

    Launched as a dumb (towing) wherry but soon fitted with a motor engine

  • 1981

    Withdrawn from service

  • 1982

    Purchased by the Merseyside Maritime Museum and maintained afloat in Princes Dock Liverpool

  • 1984

    Moved on a permanent basis into Canning No 1 graving dock

  • 1985

    Opened to the public on a seasonal basis

  • 1986

    Entered on the National Register of Historic Vessels

  • 2006

    Closed to the public due to building works connected to the new Museum of Liverpool

  • 2011

    Vessel re-opened to the public

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Hen - moored


National Historic Fleet, built 1925 by Cochrane & Sons Ltd, Selby

Ril Elsie, Castle barge pub

Registered, built 1923 by Scarr, Henry Ltd, Hessle