- 1925 - 1953 Prudential
TRIMILIA, built in double diaginal teak by Saunders Roe in 1925 at Cowes, Isle of Wight, was a new design of lifeboat, designed specifically for use out of Ramsgate. Her class was known as Ramsgate Class, although only a couple are believed to have been built. She was originally named PRUDENTIAL, having been paid for by The Prudential Assurance Co. Ltd. She was in service at Ramsgate from 1925 to 1953 and is credited with saving 3130 lives in her career including 2800 men from the beaches of Dunkirk. She was the Flagship of the Commodore, Lifeboat Division, at the Spithead Naval Review in 1953, the year of her retirement.
Between 1962 and 2011 she was in Woodbridge, Suffolk, where she was converted to a spacious and comfortable yacht. In January 2011 she moved from Woodbridge to Ipswich and spent 5 years situated near the lock gates. In 2015 she moved to what many regard as the nicest berth at Ipswich Haven Marina, the hammerhead opposite the Old Customs House and during this time she has seen a change in hull colour, from her traditional blue to grey.
Although this vessel is on the National Historic Fleet, we are currently lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
ADLS News: Fleet news, Spring 2015
Built by Samuel E. Saunders at Cowes, Isle of Wight
Named PRUDENTIAL at a ceremony in Ramsgate Harbour
Assigned as the Ramsgate lifeboat
Took part in the evacuation of Dunkirk
Adopted by Miss Violet Bonnings of Walton School for Girls at Aylesbury
Put into reserve and chosen as Flagship of the Commodore of Lifeboat Division at the Spithead Naval Review
Sold out of service to Mr F. H. W. Haywood and converted for use as a houseboat
Offered for sale at Woodbridge, Suffolk
Returned to Dunkirk for the Anniversary Celebrations
Based at Ipswich Haven Marina
A Sustainability Award of £1250 for engine repair was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
A Sustainability Grant of £750 for wheelhouse repair was made by the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org