- 1939 - 1941 Unicorn II
- 1941 - 1959 HMS Cressy
HMS UNICORN was designed as one of the successful LEDA class frigates, whose lines were based on a French frigate HEBE, captured in 1782. Her keel was laid in February 1822 on No. 4 slip in the Royal Dockyard at Chatham and she was launched on 30 March 1824. She was roofed over immediately and laid up in reserve, or 'ordinary', as it was then called and so she remained.
From 1857 to 1862 she was lent to the War Department for use as a powder hulk at Woolwich, and on her return was laid up again at Sheerness. By then the sailing warship had been well and truly outclassed by steam power, but UNICORN's sheltered existence meant that her hull was in excellent condition and she was selected for conversion to a Drill Ship for the Royal Naval Reserve at Dundee.
In November 1873 UNICORN sailed for Dundee in tow of HM Paddle Sloop SALAMANDER and on her arrival she replaced HMS BRILLIANT, who was taken to Inverness and later renamed HMS BRITON. In 1906 UNICORN was taken over by the newly-formed Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and when the Reserves were combined after the Second World War she came under the new, unified Royal Naval Reserve. During both World Wars she played an important part as the Area Headquarters of the Senior Naval Officer, Dundee. In 1939 when the First Lord of the Admiralty, Earl Stanhope, was asked to select a name for a new aircraft carrier, he picked UNICORN and the frigate's name was changed to UNICORN II in 1939.
In 1941 she became HMS CRESSY when it was found that having two UNICORNs in the Navy caused confusion with mail and drafting. In 1959, after the aircraft carrier was scrapped, the frigate was renamed HMS UNICORN by Mrs W F Keay. For almost a century, UNICORN had been berthed in the Earl Grey Dock, but in 1961 it was announced that this dock was to be filled in to make way for the new Tay Road Bridge, and it was decided that the ship should be scrapped. At the last moment, Captain Anderson, a former Captain of UNICORN, succeeded in having the decision changed and in 1962 UNICORN was moved down river to a new berth.
1967 saw work started on the Tay Division RNR's new shore headquarters, now HMS CAMPERDOWN, and once again UNICORN's future hung in the balance. Captain Stewart started a move to ensure her permanent preservation, and the outcome was the formation in 1968 of the Unicorn Preservation Society, chaired by Lord Dalhousie. On 26th September 1968, Prince Phillip accepted HMS UNICORN from the Navy on behalf of the newly formed Society. UNICORN has since been relocated to the Victoria Dock, Dundee and an application has been made to the Heritage Lottery Fund for assistance with plans for restoration.
Stewart, Roderick, Mariner's Mirror: The Frigate Unicorn - preservation of the hull, pp436, Volume 71, Edition 71, 1985
Stewart, Roderick, Mariner's Mirror: Unicorn's roof - a unique Georgian relic or a Victorian Monstrosity, pp77-78, Volume 72, Edition 72, 1986
Stewart, Roderick, Welcome Aboard the Frigate Unicorn: your guide to the oldest British built warship afloat, Unicorn Preservation Society, 1982
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp178, Edition 2, 1993
Sullivan, Dick, Old Ships, Boats and Maritime Museums, Coracle Books, 1978
Rolt, Peter, Classic Boat:Tell Tales, Unicorn in need of funding, September 1999
Built at the Royal Naval Dockyard, Chatham. Roofed over and placed in Reserve
Lent to the War Department for use as a powder hulk at Woolwich
Selected for conversion to a Drill Ship for the Royal Naval Reserve at Dundee
Taken over by the newly formed Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
Renamed HMS UNICORN II to avoid confusion with newly built aircraft carrier
Renamed HMS CRESSY when it was found that having two Unicorns created confusion
Renamed HMS UNICORN when the other aircraft carrier was scrapped
Unicorn Preservation Society formed
Full restoration commenced
21 January 2015
£5,000 awarded to the Unicorn Preservation Society from The Headley Trust towards the cost of refurbishment of the vessel
A grant of £5,000 was given towards the refurbishment of the vessel by The Headley Trust
The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £46,300 for conserevation work
The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £9,845 for accessability
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org