- 1930 - 1945 New Britannic
Built in 1930 by Frank Maynard of Chiswick, NEW BRITANNIC is a passenger vessel first licensed to carry 120 passengers. Her hull is carvel construction of pitch pine on oak with steel reinforcement and her engine is a Ford diesel 120 hp. Operating out of Ramsgate, she ran excursions to the Goodwin Sands and along the coast to Deal. During World War II, her skipper Walter Read and his 15 year old son took her to Dunkirk to assist in the evacuations and she is credited with ferrying 3,000 troops from the beaches to larger ships offshore. After the war she continued her trade as a trip boat at Ramsgate and was sold in 1965, working first in Weymouth and later for the Bryher Boat Services in the Isles of Scilly where she was renamed COMMODORE. She was provided with a second engine at this stage which has since been removed. Her career as a passenger vessel ended in 1991 when she was saved from disposal by the Dunkirk Little Ships Restoration Trust and restored at Southampton. Re-launched with her original name of NEW BRITANNIC in 1996 she was placed in the care of the East Kent Maritime Trust and brought back to Ramsgate in 1997. In 2008, NEW BRITANNIC was bought by a new owner to undergo a full restoration project.
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995
Motor Launch N'EW BRITANNIC', Ramsgate Maritime Museum, 1998
ADLS News: Ostend to Anchor, pp16-17, Spring 2015
Classic Boat: Dunkirk little ships return, August 2010
Classic Boat: The Little Ships Prepare to Revisit Dunkirk, May 2015
Vessel selected for Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
A Sustainability Grant of £500 for remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org