Built in 1956 by George Brown & Co. Ltd, of Greenock, for the Irvine Harbour Company (a subsidiary of ICI), GARNOCK is a harbour tug of steel construction with a hull partially riveted and partly welded. She was regsitered at Irvine for operation on the Clyde estuary, towing ships which loaded and unloaded explosives at the nearby ICI (Nobel Explosives) works. Latterly she was also used to dump explosives in the estuary. In February 1984, GARNOCK was severely damaged by an explosion while dumping explosives west of Ardrossan. Repairing the damage to her aft end and propeller was not an economic proposition, and after essential work, she was donated to the Scottish Maritime Museum. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Feb 2011.
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, 1993
McCall, Bernard, Tugs Around Britain, 1996
Built by George Brown & Co, Greenock, Scotland as a Tug for ICI, Nobel Explosives for use in Irvine Harbour and at their Ardeer site
She worked as an Explosives Tug
She was badly damaged by part of her load catching and detonating under her rudder. She was donated to the Scottish Maritime Museum
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com