LV No.12 was built for the Humber Conservancy Board by the Goole Shipbuilding and Repairing Company in 1927 at a cost of £17,000. She was commissioned as the Spurn light vessel, the first on that station, on 17 November 1927 and was removed to Middle Humber (Grimsby Middle position) on 27 October 1939, marking the Naval river defence boom. She returned to her pre-war position on 22 May 1945.
On 31 January 1953 she was driven off station and drifted 12 nautical miles south onto Protector Shoal where the reserve anchors held. She was repainted red and moved to Bull Station on 9 June 1959. A new light vessel, No. 14, took the Spurn station. She was decommissioned and laid up in November 1975. In 1983 she was sold out of service and acquired by Hull City Council. Restored to her original black colour, she was berthed in Hull Marina in 1986 and opened to the public the following year.
Storey, Arthur, Hull Trinity House History of Pilotage and Navigational Aids of the River Humber
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, Edition 2, 1993
Butterfield, A E, Report on the lighthouses, lightships, light floats, buoys and vessels belonging to the Board, Humber Conservancy Board, 1939
Thomas, D C, The Manned Lightships of the Humber, Malet Lambert Local History Special, 1987
Credland, Arthur, Hull City Museums Information Sheet No 3: The Spurn Lightship, Hull City Museums
Vessel built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Company for Humber Conservancy Board
Removed to Middle Humber (Grimsby Middle position) in October, marking the Navel river defence boom
Returned to pre-war position at Spurn
Driven off station and drifted 12 nautical miles south onto Protector Shoal, where her reserve anchors held
Moved to Bull Station as the Bull Light Vessel and repainted in original livery of red
Decommissioned and laid up
Sold out of service and acquired by Hull City Council
Towed to her present berth at Hull Marina and restored to her original colour of black with white lettering
Opened to the public
Vessel will be moving temporarily from September 2018 as part of the plans to upgrade the A63 to Hull docks. She will stay in the Marina until 2021 and is set to receive specialist conservation work, subject to funding before then being moved to a new permanent home in the Marina
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org