Previous names

  • Comus
Certificate no 749
Status Registered


Function Cargo Vessel
Location Heybridge Basin
Vessel type Schooner
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder Husk & Sons, James, Wivenhoe
Built in 1882
Hull material
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
12.23 feet (3.73 m)
8.16 feet (2.49 m)
Length: Overall
60.00 feet (18.30 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


Built in 1882 by James Husk of Wivenhoe, COMUS OF WIVENHOE is a gaff rigged wooden schooner of carvel construction. Her current engine is a Gardner 6 cylinder diesel installed in 1982. She is undergoing restoration at Heybridge Basin, Essex.

We are lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us


Old Gaffer's Association Member's Handbook and Boat Archive, 1993

Key dates

  • 1882

    Built by J Husk of Wivenhoe

  • 1979

    The first owner was Charles Yule of Magdelene College, Oxford and the vessel has had nine owners, the current owner who bought the vessel in 1979 when the hull was full of water over the bilge planks and she had no masts.  A rebuild started in October 1979 with the removal of what was left of the rotted deck followed by the replacement of the deck beams, knees, mast mates, deck and deck houses.  A second hand engine was installed in 1982.  

  • 2009

    Current condition of vessel very good. Can be sailed but still undergoing restoration of exterior work; painting, varnishing as well as refurbishment of saloon.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Kathleen and May at Mashfords

National Historic Fleet, built 1900 by Ferguson & Baird, Connah's Quay

bow view, port side, in dry dock

Registered, built 1917 by Gebr van Diepen, Waterhuizen, Netherlands

Greylag sailing

Registered, built 1897 by Camper & Nicholsons Ltd, Gosport

OLECO: Starboard side view

Registered, built 1930 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther