The Flagship Awards 2023 Open for Entries from 1st April to 21st May 2023
We want to celebrate and support historic vessels and maritime heritage across the UK through this initiative and are looking for craft which seek to raise their profile by ambitious cruising programmes, visitor engagement plans, online activities, social media, newly developed learning resources, virtual tours or other creative means.
As one of our 2023 Flagships you will have our full support over the coming months to help promote your vessel.
This year, you can apply in three different categories:
- Operational Flagship of the Year
- Static Flagship of the Year
- Virtual Flagship of the Year
National Historic Ships UK may also award a National Flagship of the Year, chosen by us from all entries to these Awards.
You can apply in more than one category if your application fits the criteria of both Operational and Virtual Flagship OR Static and Virtual Flagship. You may submit the same information for both applications, but you must fill in a separate application form for each category you wish to enter. All craft on the National Register of Historic Vessels or National Historic Fleet are eligible to apply.
Benefits of being a NHS-UK Flagship
Flagship status is a wonderful accolade for your historic vessel and the perfect way to showcase her to the public throughout the 2023 season. Flagships will receive a certificate, a special Flagship Broad Pennant to fly at the masthead and an engraved brass plaque for their vessel, courtesy of our sponsor Davey & Co London Ltd.
National Historic Ships UK will work closely with successful applicants to promote and support them during 2023 via its social media platforms, website and monthly newsletters. There is the option to plan a ‘flag-raising ceremony’ in conjunction with us and NHS-UK staff will attend planned physical events where possible.
All Flagships awards will also be officially recognised as part of our Virtual Awards Ceremony, streamed from our website in November 2023. Winners will be asked to submit a short video which will be incorporated into the ceremony.
How to apply
Using our online application form, custodians of vessels/organisations on the NRHV who wish to apply should outline their proposed programme of activities and outreach during the coming months, setting out:
- Current situation of their vessel(s) / museum
- Social media platforms and level of outreach
- Details of cruising programme, online events, activities, online learning or virtual tours being planned
- Other creative ways of raising your vessel’s profile
- Ways in which the vessel will support the work of National Historic Ships UK during the year and fly the flag for maritime heritage
Applicants should also include the following:
- Details of vessel outreach in previous years e.g. visitor numbers, events attended, engagement with the public or specialist groups
- Any photographs, marketing material or web links which demonstrate the likely engagement and promotional impact of your activity.
- You may also submit a short video in support of your application. You can either include a link to where the video is posted online in your application form, or email us separately at email@example.com to discuss our requirements for filming and submitting a video.
The panel reserves the right not to make this award depending on the number and the quality of the applications received. Please note that an individual/ organisation cannot apply for Flagship status if a vessel in their ownership has already received this accolade in the last five years. Only vessels registered on the National Register of Historic Vessels or National Historic Fleet qualify.
Awards in all categories are made on the premise that the submitted programme will be achieved (subject to any government or local restrictions), and that Flagships will actively promote the scheme and the work of National Historic Ships UK throughout the year to the widest possible audience via social media, web and in related online or physical activities.
Please note that any data supplied within this form may be held by National Historic Ships UK in perpetuity for archival purposes and kept on our electronic record system which is only accessible by authorised staff.
Entries close at 5pm on 21st May 2023
Photo: Landing craft Foxtrot 8, One of our 2022 Operational Flagships of the Year