Previous names

  • LV55
Certificate no 142
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Light vessel
Location Bristol
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Hill, Charles & Sons, Bristol
Built in 1885
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
24.16 feet (7.37 m)
Depth
12.00 feet (3.66 m)
Length: Overall
102.92 feet (31.39 m)
Tonnage: Gross
274.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

JOHN SEBASTIAN was built in 1885 as a Light Vessel (LV 55) as a batch order of three (LB54, LV55 and LV59) by Charles Hill & Sons, Albion Yard, Bristol, for Trinity House. The hull type was wood with iron beams. She was sold out of service in 1954 to Portishead for scrap where her lantern and metal work was removed. She is now owned by Cabot Cruising Club, Bathurst Basin, Bristol. When the Light Vessel was on Bristol Channel duty moored 12 miles out from Avonmouth, there was a tradition for members of the Cruising Club to visit taking newspapers and other gifts for the crew.

Sources

Holister, Nobby, Leading Lights: Saved by a Light Vessel, Peter Williams Associates, pp49-53, Volume 1, Edition 3, 1995    
Williams, Peter, Leading Lights: Light Vessel Directory, Peter Williams Associates, pp57-60, Volume 1, Edition 3, 1995 

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk