Previous names

  • 1897 - 1901 Minne Ha' Ha
  • 1901 - 1932 Corinne
  • 1932 - 1946 Aotea
Certificate no 1528
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Glasson Dock
Vessel type Schooner
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Camper & Nicholsons Ltd, Gosport
Built in 1897
Hull material Wood
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
9.84 feet (3.00 m)
Depth
6.98 feet (2.13 m)
Length: Overall
47.00 feet (14.34 m)
Tonnage: Gross
11.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

GREYLAG is a Bermudan staysail schooner, built in 1897 by Camper & Nicholsons Ltd. of Gosport. Her official number was 108010 and she was registered at Portsmouth. She is carvel built, with a semi-elliptical stern and a spoon bow. Her original name was Minne ha ha and she was built for F Gordon George. In 1929 she had an overhaul and refit to a Bermudan Staysail Schooner Rig In 1930, she was in the ownership of Richard John Naol under the name of CORINNE. In May of that year, her name was changed to AUTEA. She was sold four years later through yacht broker R.A. Nicholson to Charles Harold Fison, a sales manager for a motor manufacturing firm, based in Wolston, near Coventry. By 1938 she was for sale again, and was bought by Hector Bright MacLeod of 10 Dempster Terrace, St Andrews,and then by Robert Gordon a retired air commodore. After the war, Camper & Nicholsons Ltd. orchestrated a further sale of the yacht to Sir Ralph St George Brian Gore (Lieutenant Colonel) of Bulleigh, Barton, Doppleton. On 23 February 1954, ownership passed to Arthur George Stewart, a retired master mariner of The Haven, 44 Marine Parade, Lee-on-Solent. At this time, the name was changed to GREYLAG. She was purchased on 1 September 1961 by Charles Durkin Pledger, an agent, of Kedge Cottage, Heybridge Basin. Five months later, she was sold to Joseph Lancelot Pledger, a construction engineer. Samuel Gordon Bayliss, a doctor from The National Hospital, Queen Street, London, bought her on 27 June 1966 and she remained in his ownership until discovered by the current owners on 24 August 1969. A major refit was completed in 1992 and the vessel joined the first Brest classic regatta. The fine design and craftmanship of build together with careful maintenance over the years combine to provide a fast and sea-kindly yacht of grace and character.

Key dates

  • 1897

    Built by Camper & Nicholson of Gosport, Isle of Wight as a leisure craft for F Gordon George and named ‘Minne Ha Ha’

  • 1900

    New owner

  • 1901

    Renamed ‘Corinne’

  • 1904-1969

    Had 13 different owners during this time

  • 1992

    A major re-fit with a new Perkins Prima 50 diesel engine

  • 1994

    New owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Archived, built 1888 by Slade, J & Sons, Polruan

Amazon - underway, starboard view

Registered, built 1885 by Tankerville Chamberlayne, Southampton

Result - port side view

National Historic Fleet, built 1893 by Kent, Robert & Co, Carrickfergus

Sailing port side view

Archived, built 1907 by Fairfiled Works, Glasgow