ANGEL is a narrowboat butty, built for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. (GUCCCL) by Harland & Wolff Ltd. at Woolwich. She was launched in August 1936 and operated under fleet number 211 and Grand Union gauging number 12613. Her British Waterways number was 79620 and she was registered as number 538 at Coventry on 28 January 1937. Her hull is built of steel plate and riveted and her bow is pointed.
ANGEL was built as a pair with ALDGATE, but entered service with ALTON in 1937 at Coventry. She was operated by the GUCCCL until 1947, then both vessels passed to the British Transport Corporation, before being transferred again to Midland & Metropolitan and latterly the Colne Valley Carriers. Due to maintenance and repairs, the boats were occasionally separated, but were finally re-united in 1994 by their current owners.
The vessel is in full working order and was re-bottomed in 1992. She has carried a variety of cargoes including coal, timber, beer, concrete, medical supplies, boat trailers, marquees and a prefabricated building. In 1995, ALDGATE and ANGEL were part of a thirty-one boat flotilla that crossed the channel (on a ferry) to promote British Waterways in Flanders, Belgium.
Built by Harland & Wolff, Woolwich
Operated by the GUCCCL and pair with Aldgate
Tranfer of ownership
Re-united with Aldgate
part of a flotilla to Beguim to promote British Waterways
Grant given by NHS-UK
No longer paired wiht Aldgate
New ownership and paired with Badsey
Financial year April
A Sustainability Grant of £3000 for remedial and protective work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships to ALDGATE and ANGEL
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com