Certificate no 1684
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Newport
Current use Museum based
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight
Built in 1922
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Yawl
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
10.49 feet (3.20 m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


Built in 1922 by J Samuel White at Cowes, Isle of Wight, LANGHAM is RNLI lifeboat number 676. Her hull is made of double diagonal mahogany planking with larch, pitch pine and oak internally. She originally had two timber masts rigged with gaff sails and could be sailed, rowed or motored. As the first motorised lifeboat on the Isle of Wight she spent 17 years as the Bembridge Lifeboat, rescuing 71 people, and then went into auxiliary rescue service in 1939. In 1990 she was spotted at Largs in Scotland by Martin Woodward, Cox of the Bembridge lifeboat. He bought her, transported her back to the Isle of Wight and, after some years of looking for someone to restore her, reached agreement with the Classic Boat Museum at Newport, Isle of Wight where she is currently kept in the Museum’s restoration shed.

The hull of LANGHAM is pretty much in original form although there's no engine. The decks now need replacing, hence our imminent appeal for funds. 




Leach, Nicholas, Lifeboats and Lifeboat Stations in the United Kingdom and Ireland, Lifeboat Enthusiats Society

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk