Previous names

  • 1934 - 1947 Evelyn Brodstone
  • 1947 - 1972 Vespa
Certificate no 1892
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Douglas
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Hall, Alexander & Company Ltd, Aberdeen.
Built in 1934
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.69 feet (5.70 m)
Depth
9.84 feet (3.00 m)
Length: Overall
75.57 feet (23.05 m)
Tonnage: Gross
72.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

In 1934, Alexander Hall & Co. Ltd, Aberdeen, built the motor tug BRODSTONE for Frederick Leyland Ltd of Liverpool, although the vessel was employed in London. In 1935, she was renamed EVELENE BRODSTONE upon transfer to a subsidiary company, Blackfriars Lighterage. Her service on the Thames continued in 1946 when she was sold to Gaselee & Son Ltd and renamed VESPA. In 1953, she was run down and sunk in Gallions Reach by the Swedish freighter MALMO. After salvage, her original Mirrlees, Bickerton & Day diesel was replaced by a 525-bhp British Polar diesel. In 1965, Gaselee sold their four largest tug, including VESPA, to Ship Towage (London) Ltd, which becamse London Tugs Ltd in 1969. Harry Rose, a Poole tug operator, purchased the tug in 1970 but did not rename her until four years later, when she became WENDY ANN in 1974. Her engine was replaced in 1972 with a Blackstone diesel. The tug's duties at Poole included assisting colliers, and later coastal tankers, at the town's power station, assisting coasters and ferries, maintaining the sewerage outfall buoys, and towing hopper barges for the Poole Harbour Commissioners' dredger when their tug was not available. In 1981, WENDY ANN was sold to the harbour commissioners and continued in their service until 1996 when she was sold to the Laxey Towing Co. in the Isle of Man. She is employed berthing ships in Douglas harbour and towing the harbour's hopper barge, and at Ramsey Harbour. Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Feb 2011.

Sources

Carter, Stephen, Ships in Focus: Remember The Wendy Ann, Volume 26

Key dates

  • 1934

    Built by Alexander Hall & Co. Ltd, Aberdeen as motor tug BRODSTONE for Frederick Leyland Ltd, Liverpool

  • 1935

    Renamed EVELENE BRODSTONE on transfer to subsidiary company, Blackfriars Lighterage

  • 1940s

    In service on the River Thames

  • 1946

    Sold to Gaselee & Son Ltd and renamed VESPA

  • 1953

    Run down and sunk in Gallions Reach by Swedish freighter MALMO

  • 1965

    Gaselee sold their four largest tugs including VESPA to Ship Towage (London) Ltd

  • 1969

    Ship Towage (London) Ltd became London Tugs Ltd

  • 1970

    Purchased by Harry Rose, a Poole tug operator

  • 1972

    Engine replaced with a Blackstone diesel

  • 1974

    Renamed WENDY ANN 

  • 1981

    Sold to the harbour commissioners and continued in their service

  • 1996

    Sold to Laxey Towing Co. in Isle of Man and employed berthing ships in Douglas harbour

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk