Previous names

  • 1921 St Asaph
Certificate no 1912
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Pinnace
Location Shepperton
Vessel type Admiralty Pinnace
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Read, J, Portsmouth
Built in 1921
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Steam
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.50 feet (3.81 m)
Depth
3.50 feet (1.07 m)
Length: Overall
53.00 feet (16.17 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

The vessel is listed in Lloyds Register of Yachts of 1951 where it clearly states it was formerly No 124. My researches at the Admiralty Library in Earls Court over 40 years ago showed that Pinnace 124 was built in 1903 by G.J. Read of Portsmouth, a man who built a large number of pinnaces and cutters for the Admiralty. It was fitted with a steam engine by Mumford of Colchester. The Admiralty sold it out of service in 1937 when it was converted into a motor yacht. In 1951 it was owned by G R Heatherington at Poole.

Key dates

  • 1903

    Built by G.J. Read of Portsmouth as Pinnace 124 for the Admiralty

  • 1937

    Sold out of service by the Admiralty and converted into a motor yacht

  • 1951

    Owned by G.R. Heatherington at Poole

  • 1980s?

    Purchased by Peter Burnet of Wadhurst, East Sussex

  • 2007

    Purchased by Elizabeth Murray for use as houseboat

Grants

  • 2007/2008

    A Sustainability Grant of ú2,600 for general repairs and new saloon was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

port side view

Registered, built 1885 by Unknown

view from above, starboard side

Registered, built 1946 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

port side view

Registered, built 1931 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast

starboard side view

Registered, built 1926 by Admiralty, Place Unknown