Registration number 1946
Status Registered

Previous names

  • 1898 - 1942 Marquis
  • 1942 - 1964 Sally
  • 1964 - 1974 Calypso
  • 1974 Marquis


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Trent & Mersey Canal
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No


Builder Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock
Built in 1898
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
7.00 feet (2.14m)
3.00 feet (0.92m)
Length: Overall
54.00 feet (16.47m)
Tonnage: Gross


MARQUIS was built in 1898 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. at Salter, Birmingham as a steam powered narrow boat. She was converted to diesel in 1927 and sold to J. Holloway of Oldbury in 1942. At this time, she was renamed SALLY. In 1957, she was shortened by the Harris Brothers of Netherton to a tug and re-named CALYPSO. In 1963, she was sold out of service. She is the oldest surviving iron motor narrowboat with an original stern. Her engine is now a Lister FR 3.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact