Certificate no 2026
Status Registered


Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Rugby
Vessel type Josher
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1936
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
6.80 feet (2.07 m)
3.00 feet (0.92 m)
Length: Overall
71.25 feet (21.73 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



Built in 1936 by Yarwoods of Northwich for Fellows Morton & Clayton, TROUT is a josher of iron construction and a Kelvin J4 diesel engine, 44 hp. She carried cargo for Fellows Morton & Clayton and was then taken over by British Waterways. In the 1960s, she was sold to a private buyer. She is the last of the 18 boats of the Fish class built for Fellows Morton & Clayton.

Key dates

  • 1936

    Built by Yarwoods of Northwich for Fellows Morton & Clayton

  • 1948

    Sold to B.T.C. (D. & I.W.E.) and allocated to North Western Division 

  • 1951

    Re-engined with 15 hp diesel unit to allow towing of butty boat

  • 1958

    Registered with Northwich Urban Sanitary Authority

  • 1963

    Ownership transferred to British Waterways Board

  • 1964-67

    Hired to Williow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd of Southall

  • 1968

    Hired to Anderton Carrying Co. Ltd of Northwich, Cheshire

  • 1975

    Sold to private buyer and converted to residential boat

  • 1999

    In use and based at Shardlow, Derbyshire

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

On the canal

Registered, built 1914 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock

Roach - underway, bow view

Registered, built 1935 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Dragon - underway

Registered, built 1925 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Tay - moored


Registered, built 1938 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Uxbridge