Previous names

  • 1895 - 1949 Jap
  • 1949 - 1969 Sue
  • 1969 - 1990 Adrias
  • 1990 - 1997 Jap
  • 1997 - 2006 Elegance
  • 2006 Constance
Certificate no 2036
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location Helford River
Vessel type Saloon Launch
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No


Builder Guy, Henry, Cowes
Built in 1895
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Electric
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
8.60 feet (2.62 m)
3.25 feet (0.99 m)
Length: Overall
48.60 feet (14.82 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



Built in 1895 by Henry Guy of Cowes, Isle of Wight, CONSTANCE is a saloon launch of timber carvel construction. She currently has two inboard electric motors by Lynch, model LEM200D135. She was originally built as the tender to the steam yacht XARIFA for Lieut. Col. Frank Shuttleworth, a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron. CONSTANCE remained a private leisure vessel until 1997, when her initial restoration was completed and she became a tripping vessel on Roadford Lake, Devon. She was originally named JAP, but her subsequent name changes were SUE in 1949 and ADRIAS in 1960. She was re-named JAP in 1990, then named ELEGANCE in 1997 and given her present name CONSTANCE in 2006. She is traditionally built in teak on oak construction with an elm keel, and has recently been renovated to a very high standard. She retains the features of early saloon launches with teak panelling, bevelled windows and velvet upholstery.

Sold to Gweek Classic Boatyard in March 2019, CONSTANCE will be doing river cruises on Helford River, Cornwall with lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.

Key dates

  • 1997

    Full restoration completed

  • 2006

    Conversion to electric propulsion

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Lily - underway on the Avon

Registered, built 1933 by Borwick & Co, Windermere

Spray at Waterhead

Registered, built 1920 by Borwick & Co, Windermere

Kittiwake being lifted out the water

Registered, built 1898 by Hayton, T W, Bowness-on-Windermere

MY GIRL August 2009

Registered, built 1931 by Mitchell Brothers, Mevagissey