Certificate no 2056
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Drifter
Location Waldringfield
Vessel type Fifie
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Weir, James, Arbroath
Built in 1897
Hull material
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
14.40 feet (4.39 m)
Depth
5.20 feet (1.59 m)
Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.73 m)
Tonnage: Gross
15.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

GLAD TIDINGS was built in 1897 by James Weir of Arbroath. She is a fishing vessel registered as AH213 and originally owned by Hugh Smith. She was built as a fast Fifie and operated purely as a sailing vessel until her first engine was installed in 1914. She had subsequent engine changes in 1930 and 1943, and then a Kelvin 66 diesel was installed in 1964. During her fishing career she drift netted, seine netted and small lined between Aberdeen and Leith and seasonally crossed to Loch Fyne for the herring fishing season. She also fished for salmon off Arbroath in the season between 1945 and 1947. Purchased by William Cargill in 1920, she remained with the family for over 3 generations until her fishing career ended in 1977.

She was then sold to Terry Dalton for conversion to a motor cruiser. She changed hands again in 1985 but was left derelict on the River Medway in Kent for 5 years. In 1990, she was sold to Ian Savage who started her restoration and in 1997 she was sold for conversion back to sail. 

GLAD TIDINGS finally sunk in 2015 due to lack of funds and neglect. She was then bought by Shipwright John Archer in 2016, her current owner. He gutted the inside which had been fit out as a livaboard. Once he could get get access to the entire hull he floated her using temporary measures, before putting in an engine temporarily and motoring her to the river Deben, Suffolk, where he begins to restore her at Waldringfield Boatyard. 

Key dates

  • 1897

    Built by an unknown builder as a Fishing Boat in Scotland

  • 1897-1945

    She was used extensively for crab and lobster potting during the summer in the Farne Islands and she long-lined for cod in the winter

  • 1946

    She took day-trippers to the Farne Islands

  • 1958

    She collected the Queen from the Royal Yacht to view and photograph the wildlife in the Farne Islands

  • 1976

    She went on loan to the Tyne & Wear Museums

  • 2000

    New owner

  • 2010

    Vessel sank in Conyer Quay, Teynham, Kent

Grants

  • January 2016

    A Sustainability Grant of £1000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

  • June 2013

    Grant wthdrawn at owners request. Source: National Historic Ships UK

  • September 2012

    A Sustainability Grant of £1000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK. Source: National Historic Ships UK

  • October 2008

    A Sustainability Award of £1000 was made towards the cost of survey/maintenance from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Kentra being launched

Archived, built 1923 by Fife, William & Son, Fairlie

Protect Us - port side (c) Michael Fenton

Registered, built 1923 by Reekie, Walter, Anstruther

Swan at Scottish Traditional Boat Festival, Portsoy 2010

National Historic Fleet, built 1900 by Hay & Co Ltd, Lerwick

in the Marina

Registered, built 1931 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie