Previous names

  • Sylvia
  • Puffin
Certificate no 2212
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Launch
Location Cowes
Vessel type Open Launch
Archive reason Loss by fire
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Liquid Fuel Engineering Company, Isle of Wight
Built in 1897
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Steam
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam compound
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
6.75 feet (2.06 m)
Length: Overall
34.98 feet (10.67 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Steam launch, KARIAT, was designed and built by the Liquid Fuel Engineering Company of East Cowes, Isle of Wight in 1896 for Capt. R T Dixon R.M. of Plymouth. Her compound steam engine was built in 1896 by LIFU Co Ltd., while her present boiler was built in 1989 by H A McEwen Ltd. of Keighley and fitted in 1992.

KARIAT was found derelict at Itchenor in 1953 by Maxwell Savage. Her name had been changed to SYLVIA. She was then restored with fore and aft cabins and re-named PUFFIN. In 1985, she was acquired by Mr and Mrs D Mills and restored to her original style and name and, in 1997, she moved to Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland. Acquired 2003 by present owner and moved to Cowes where she was regularly steamed on the Solent and lovingly maintained.

In 2016 it was reported that the vessel had been destroyed following a fire.

Sources

Classic Boat: 1,000 Boat Pageant - Steamers and Workboats, June 2012   

Key dates

  • 1896

    Vessel built by the Liquid Fuel Engineering Company of East Cowes, Isle of Wight

  • 1953

    Vessel found derelict and subsequently restored

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Otto - boiler engines

Registered, built 1896 by Forrestt & Sons Ltd, Wivenhoe

DUCHESS OF ARGYLL. Under way September 1999

Archived, built 1883 by Unknown

Waterlily - port quarter

National Historic Fleet, built 1866 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Chiswick

starboard side view

Registered, built 1910 by Gill & Sons, Rochester