Certificate no 2452
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Wigan
Vessel type Leeds & Liverpool Longboat
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1933
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
72.00 feet (21.96 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

AMBUSH is a Leeds and Liverpool longboat, a narrow boat of steel plate construction with a Gardner 41W diesel engine. She was built by W J Yarwood of Northwich in 1933. She was built and worked for H R Ainscough.

After trade finished, she was used to carry coal to Westwood Power Station in Wigan and later was turned into a trip boat in the Liverpool area.  AMBUSH is one of a small number of Leeds and Liverpool long boats and in 2011 was under full restoration by her present owner.

Grants

  • Jan 2017

    A Sustainability Grant of £1,000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

  • June 2013

    The Sustainability Grant awarded in 2011 has been withdrawn. Source: National Historic Ships UK. This is later withdrawn due to financial restraints

  • September 2012

    A Sustainability Grant of £1,000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Parbold - bow view

Registered, built 1936 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Ironclad - working, taken from 'Clogs & Gansey', a newsletter of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society

Registered, built 1933 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

starboard side view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich