Registration number 2471
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Plymouth
Vessel type Yawl
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes


Builder Thomas, W E, Falmouth
Built in 1906
Rig Gaff Yawl
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None


Breadth: Beam
10.70 feet (3.26m)
7.30 feet (2.23m)
Length: Overall
58.00 feet (17.69m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
41.01 feet (12.50m)


MOOSK is a gaff yawl of teak clinker construction with a Ford diesel engine. Built by W.H.Thomas in Falmouth in 1906 as an auxiliary yacht, she was one of the first boats to be built with a motor and ‘sparks’ for lighting the cabin. After being the joy of many owners during her first forty years of life, her sailing history is somewhat obscure and she was found abandoned and wrecked in Glasgow in 1998. Rescued by ISCA and transported to East Anglia, her re-build was completed by G.Brown & Son in Southwold, Suffolk and she was re-launched on 21 August 2001.

Update, October 2023: This vessel is currently for sale.

Key dates

  • 2015

    During the refit works in 2015 Moosk , along with having structural restoration works completed she was fitted with a new engine changing from her Ford diesel engine to a Volvo Penta to ensure that she can continue her work with her current owners. Her topsides were also repainted from cream to green

  • 2017

    As of the 2017 sailing season Moosk is an RYA recognised training vessel up to Yachtmaster Offshore. As well as doing her usual programme of sail training throughout the season, she now provides Day Skippers and Yachtmaster weeks for up to 5 students at a time


  • 15 April 2015

    £65,100 awarded to The Island Trust Ltd from the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the cost of restoration

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Coryphee at sea, arriving in Cornwall, 2013

Registered, built 1896 by Forrestt & Sons Ltd, Wivenhoe

Molin under sail

Registered, built 1929 by Burt, R S

Under covers

Archived, built 1968 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire

Coigach - under sail (c) David Denholm

Registered, built 1963 by McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire