Previous names

  • 1951 - 1987 Runny Mead
  • 1987 - 2010 Santiago
Certificate no 2501
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Southampton
Vessel type Tug
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Wiley Mfg Co, Unknown
Built in 1951
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Air Draft
12.00 feet (3.66 m)
Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.73 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00

History

STEADFAST was built in the USA as a harbour tug. Commissioned by the US Army Department for Transportation in 1950 and built by Wiley Manufacturing Co, in 1951, she is a vessel of steel plate construction. Her current engine is a Rolls Royce diesel model C6N. The vessel was designated ST 2028 (Small Tug) and named RUNNY MEAD. In 1956 she was shipped across the Atlantic to Hythe, Southampton, where she was based at the USA MFA Hythe UK . In 1987 her name was changed to SANTIAGO as a new master took over. In 1990 she was sold out of service to Kimber Brothers on the River Itchen where she performed as a general workboat. She was then sold to Mr J Dunkley who sailed her to the River Medway where she was used as a houseboat. In May 2010 she was bought by her present owner and sailed back to the River Itchen where she was renamed STEADFAST. She is kept in operational condition and can often be seen in Southampton Water.

Key dates

  • 1951 Built in USA by Wiley Mfg Co
  • 1956 Transported to Southampton UK
  • 1989 Sold out of service by the US Army
  • 1990s Base transferred from Southampton to River Medway
  • 2010 Bought by present owner and transferred back to Southampton
  • 2013

    New owner

  • March 2017

    May 2016. Boat purchased by joint owners Gary Wiles & Jenny Napier-Ford from marina on Itchen river moved to MDL Hythe marina

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

TTMS Viking - underway

Tug built 1965 by Richards Ironworks Co Ltd, Lowestoft

Portwey - on the Thames coming into Masthouse Terrace Pier

Tug built 1927 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan

John King - starboard side view

Tug built 1935 by Hill, Charles & Sons, Bristol

Starboard side view

Tug built 1929 by Seismonsbergen, S, Amsterdam