Built in 1955 by Alexander Hall & Co.Ltd, with a riveted steel hull and a triple expansion engine by the same firm, EXPLORER was designed as a Fisheries Research Steamer for the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland. She has the lines of a deep sea trawler. She was withdrawn from service in 1984 and sold to breakers from whom she was rescued by Aberdeen City Council for restoration. She lay dormant for many years as the Council tried unsuccessfully to find her a berth adjacent to the City Maritime Museum.
In 1994 the Council proposed she should be scrapped but a local group formed a Preservation Society and she was saved once again. Under the auspices of her new owners she was moved to Leith for restoration work. An eviction order was served by the Forth Ports Authority in 2000, but a reprieve was granted and the vessel remains at Leith.
Steamboat Register: An illustrated Register of surviving steam vessels in the British Isles (May Edition 6, 1994) pub: Steam Boat Association of Great Britain
Norman J Brouwer, International Register of Historic Ships (Edition 2, 1993, pp149) pub: Anthony Nelson
Ian Muir, SEVEN LIVES LEFT! The Story of the SS Explorer
Scheduled for preservation by Aberdeen City Council
Withdrawn from service
Purchased by ss Explorer Preservation Society
Sold to Shipbreakers
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com