Built in 1915 by Salter Bros, Oxford, KINGWOOD is a passenger vessel with a capacity for 150 passengers. She has a riveted steel hull and her current engine is a Scania Thornycroft DN11. She operated on the Thames prior to World War 2 under the ownership of Alf Mears. During the war she saw service at Dunkirk. She was sold to Thames Launches of Eel Pie Island in 1945 and converted from steam to diesel in 1948. Following the disposal of the Thames Launches fleet in 1974/75 she was purchased by G Wheeler Launches of Westminster. Her current owner took over her operation in 1986 and she runs a service between Westminster and Kew/Hampton Court.
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org