Previous names

  • GILL
  • WENDY & BARBARA
Certificate no 2653
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location Gloucester
Vessel type Liverpool Class Lifeboat
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1953
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
35.00 feet (10.67 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.00 feet (3.35 m)
Depth
2.00 feet (0.61 m)
Tonnage: Gross
7.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

THE ELLIOTT GILL was built as a Liverpool Class lifeboat in 1953 by Groves & Gutteridge of Cowes, Isle of Wight. She is of double diagonal mahogany construction. Previously powered by twin engines, at the time of registration the vessel had no engines as she is waiting for restoration.

She operated as the Runswick Lifeboat from 1954 to 1970 and was then transferred to the Reserve Fleet. During her past, she was named GILL and WENDY & BARBARA.

The hull is completely original and sound and her present owner intends to restore her to her original condition. Launch is planned for mid 2014.

THE ELLIOTT GILL is the penultimate Liverpool Class Lifeboat built.

Key dates

  • 1953

    Built by Groves & Gutteridge of Cowes, Isle of Wight

  • 1954/1970

    Served as Runswick lifeboat

  • 1970-74

    Served as relief lifeboat

  • 2012

    Commenced restoration to original condition

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

William Cantrell Ashley - current livery & condition

Registered, built 1949 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

Anne Allen following restoration

Registered, built 1932 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Hampton

The Chieftain starboard view underway (c) Richard Judge

Registered, built 1948 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

Valas - on mooring

Registered, built 1941 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes