NOUP HEAD was built as a Harbour Service Launch. Although the builder is not known, the build date is estimated as 1912. She is a vessel of timber double diagonal construction and is at present fitted with a Leyland 500 diesel engine.
The vessel was believed to have been sold off after the Second World War from Leith and came to Orkney in the early 1960s.and was operated as a private ferry/ambulance boat for about 20 years and then privately operated taking coal from Westray to Papawestray. She then fell into disuse and was about to be scrapped when acquired by her present owners in 1986..
Since then, a programme of restoration has carried on over the years involving replacement of the keel, installation of a new engine, gearbox and wheelhouse.
Date built, builder unknown
Came to Orkney Isles and operated as a private ferry/ambulance boat
Acquired by present owners, engine, gearbox and wheelhouse installed
Fitted out for sea and sailed to Westray
About to start next stage of restoration/conversion
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org