Previous names

  • 1937 - 1958 Crown
  • 1958 Lion
Certificate no 2729
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Shropshire Union Canal
Vessel type Horse Drawn
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1925
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker

Dimensions

Length: Overall
70.00 feet (21.34 m)
Breadth: Beam
6.50 feet (1.98 m)
Depth
2.50 feet (0.61 m)
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Tonnage: Gross
0.00

History

THE NORTH was built in 1925 by Yarwoods for Midlands and Coast, Wolverhampton Ltd as a horse-drawn boat working between Wolverhampton and River Severn.  She was constructed with iron rivetted sides. Sold to Hingleys in 1937, she was cut down to 44 ft tug length and motorised by Harrison Bros, B'ham (by heating and bending in iron plates to create swim). She was renamed Crown and painted in distinctive Hingleys grey livery.

Sold in 1958 to Malcolm Braine, renamed Lion and lenghtened to 50 ft with cabin conversion, THE NORTH still has this back cabin structure. She was then subsequently sold to Lawrence and Mavis Witherage (now Waldron).

THE NORTH was sold again in 1968 to a couple of short term owners and then to John and Phyllis Saxon (early 1970s) who lengthened the vessel to 70 ft and completed a fit out.   The vessel's main internal artwork was completed by Jesse Owens (now deceased).

Bought from Saxons by a further private owner in August 2010 who reverted the vessel back to her original name.  THE NORTH is believed to be one of the four remaining vessels of the Midlands and Coast group.  She is used regularly by family and friends, with presence at all major historic boat festivals.

 

Key dates

  • 1925

    Built by Yarwoods of Northwich

  • 1937

    Motorised  and shortened to 44ft for use as a tug

  • 1958

    Lengthened to 50ft and converted to leisure boat with Fowler engine

  • 1970s

    Lengthened to full 70 ft

  • 2010

    Boat sold to current owner by John and Phyllis Saxon

  • 2012

    New engine installed - Lister HR2

  • 2013

    Took part in Audlem Historic Boat Show

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Ipswich moored (c) Duncan Davis

Registered, built 1912 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock

Mercury

Registered, built 1925 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Ilkeston under cover

Registered, built 1912 by Braithwaite & Kirk, West Bromwich

Friendship - starboard side

National Historic Fleet, built 1925 by Sephtons, Sutton Stop, Coventry