Certificate no 2773
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Shropshire Union Canal
Vessel type Horse Drawn
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Saltley Dock
Built in 1912
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
70.67 feet (21.54 m)
Breadth: Beam
7.05 feet (2.15 m)
Depth
To be confirmed
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

IPSWICH is a horse-drawn narrow boat built in 1912 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton at Saltley Dock, Birmingham. She is an iron composite fore decked boat employed on general cargo between Birmingham and London. In 1959 she was transferred to British Waterways engineering department for use as a canal maintenance boat.

In 1981 she was converted to a houseboat at Norton Canes. After several changes of ownership the vessel was bought by her present owner in 2013 and a programme of restoration begun at Stockton Dry Dock.

Key dates

  • 1912

    Built by Fellows Morton & Clayton

  • 1949

    Sold to Docks and Inland Waterways Commission

  • 1959

    Transferred to British Waterways Engineering Dept

  • 1981

    Converted to a house boat

  • 2013

    Bought by present owner for restoration

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Mercury

Registered, built 1925 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Ilkeston under cover

Registered, built 1912 by Braithwaite & Kirk, West Bromwich

Friendship - starboard side

National Historic Fleet, built 1925 by Sephtons, Sutton Stop, Coventry

Gifford - dry docking

National Historic Fleet, built 1926 by Nurser Brothers, Braunston