Certificate no 2775
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Weedon
Vessel type Coal motor barge
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1929
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
52.00 feet (15.85 m)
Breadth: Beam
6.92 feet (2.11 m)
Depth
2.75 feet (0.84 m)
Tonnage: Gross
20.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

TEBAY was built in 1929 by Yarwoods of Northwich as an LMS coal boat, a narrow boat of iron riveted construction with a Kelvin diesel engine. After years of service conveying coal for the London Midland & Scottish Railway she was transferred to British Waterways and cut down to 36ft and used as a mess boat for a dredging gang. Purchased in 1987, she was taken to G.M, Engineering of Wednesbury who re-bottomed, re-footed and lengthened her to the present 52ft.

Purchased by her present owners in 2010, her interior has been refitted in 1930s style.

Key dates

  • 1929

    Built by W.J. Yarwood and Sons Ltd of Northwich

  • 1987

    Rescued as an old hulk and re-bottomed, re-footed and extended to 52 ft

  • 1997

    3 cylinder Kelvin engine fitted

  • 2010

    Purchased by present owners and interior refitted in 1930 style

  • 2014

    In private use at Weedon on Grand Union canal

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Archived, built 1952 by Unknown

MARJORIE R in dry dock

Registered, built 1946 by Harker Ltd, John, Knottingley

Moored starboard side

No5

Registered, built 1958 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne