Certificate no 2824
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location South Dock Marina
Vessel type Admiralty Pinnace
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Admiralty, Place Unknown
Built in 1926
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
42.75 feet (13.03 m)
Breadth: Beam
13.00 feet (3.96 m)
Depth
3.50 feet (1.07 m)
Tonnage: Gross
17.20
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

MARY JANE was built in 1926 as an Admiralty Pinnace and is a vessel of teak double diagonal construction. In 1936 she was converted to a motor yacht by Joe White of Fulham. Uffa Fox wrote of her two years later: "A yacht where the owner's wife shares the joys of cruising has a restfulness and peace which is lacking in vessels used entirely by men, so that one constantly expects to see a cat curled up by an inviting fire. Mary Jane is one of the cosiest yachts I've ever slept aboard".

During the Second World War she took part in the Dunkirk evacuations and in 2010 took part in the 70th anniversary of Operation Dynamo.and more recently took part in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant.

The vessel is now used as a houseboat.

We are lacking information in order to update her record. If you have any past information, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1926

    Built as an Admiralty pinnace

  • 1936

    Converted to a motor yacht for private owner

  • 1940

    Took part in Dunkirk evacuations

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

port side view

Registered, built 1885 by Unknown

RAF 1262 - starboard side view

Archived, built 1942 by Walton Yacht & Launch, Walton-on-Thames

bow view

Registered, built 1959 by Unknown

Fusil - underway on the canal

Registered, built 1900 by Crampton, J T, Portsmouth