Previous names

  • Patricia
Certificate no 2884
Status Registered


Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Drifter
Location Eastbourne
Vessel type Mounts Bay Pilchard driver
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Kitto, Richard, Porthleven
Built in 1912
Hull material Wood
Rig Lug
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
34.17 feet (10.41 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
4.58 feet (1.40 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed



GIRL SYBIL was built as a fishing vessel, by Kitto of Porthleven in 1912 and is a vessel of pitch pine carvel constrfuction with a Ford 2722E diesel engine. Originally named PATRICIA she worked out of Newlyn as a pilchard driver.

The boat would have been renamed GIRL SYBIL when acquired by the Vingoe family of Newlyn in the mid 1930s; she was sold to the Stevenson family who continued to work her throughout the war years.

It is believed that at the end of the Second World War she was owned by Tommy Jewell. Tommy had cobtracted TB during his service in France in the early years of the Second World War and was advised by a GP that salt air might bring relief to him. Following doctors advice, he borrowed money to buy GIRL SYBIL from a family member and bought the boat around the time the war ended. The loan to purchase the vessel was made by Bobby Jewell.

Decommissioned from fishing in about 1965, she became a coded charter vessel operating in Cornwall and Suffolk. In 2005 she came to Dartmouth and was later taken out at Noss Marina for an alteration to her ballast and a refit.

Key dates

  • 1912

    Built by Kitto of Porthleven

  • 1912/1965

    Worked out of Newlyn as a pilchard driver

  • 1965/2005

    Became a coded charter vessel operating in Cornwall and Southwold, Suffolk

  • 2005

    Refit at Dartmouth and alteration of ballast

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Happy Return at Looe, port side view

Registered, built 1904 by Kitto, Richard, Porthleven