Certificate no 339
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Excursion
Location Gloucester
Vessel type Excursion
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Woolston, Southampton
Built in 1936
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
15.70 feet (4.79 m)
Depth
3.61 feet (1.10 m)
Length: Overall
63.57 feet (19.39 m)
Tonnage: Gross
45.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1936 by Thornycroft, Southampton, QUEEN BOADICEA II is a passenger vessel with a steel hull and a Gardner 6LX diesel engine. She has the capacity for 145 passengers. She was built for work on the River Thames between Richmond and Hampton Court.

She was commandeered by the Navy in 1940, and took part in the Dunkirk evacuation. She remained in Admiralty hands until 1945 on harbour duties, then returned to the Thames where she worked until 1976. George Wheeler Launches subsequently bought her for use on the River Dart in Devon. She was later sold to Tamar Cruising, Plymouth and worked as a ferry.

She was bought by the National Waterways Museum Trust in 1991 and sailed to Gloucester.

She is significant as a fine example of a steel sub-divided Thames boat.

Sources

Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Forth Princess at Pontoon

Registered, built 1921 by Mashfords, Cremyll

Henley - Port side

Registered, built 1896 by Clark, Edwin & Co Ltd, Brimscombe

ST GEORGE - as converted in 1977.

Archived, built 1935 by Bolson, J & Sons Ltd, Poole

A day on Sonning

Registered, built 1902 by Salter Brothers Ltd, Oxford