Previous names

  • Lakeland Lady
  • Silver Gleam
Certificate no 3531
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Excursion
Location Stratford-upon-Avon
Vessel type Saloon Launch
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Borwick & Co, Windermere
Built in 1933
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Electric
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
33.20 feet (10.12 m)
Breadth: Beam
7.90 feet (2.41 m)
Depth
2.00 feet (0.61 m)

History

Built in 1933, LILY has worked continuously as a commercial vessel for 84 years. She is one of Borwicks prolific output of passenger vessels built to operate on Lake Windermere. She moved to Stratford-upon-Avon in 1989 where she is in service regularly from April to October.  In 1989 she was purchased by Avon Boating, (formerly GH Rose & Sons), from Bristol and moved to Stratford-upon-Avon.

In 2016 she underwent various work including steam bent timbers replaced aft of midships, several planks replaced and her keel re-enforced to strengthen the hull.  In 2017 she was converted to electric drive and a new cabin was re-constructed from the vessel’s original blueprints.

 

Key dates

  • 1933

    Vessel built at Bowness, Lake Windermere

  • 1989

    Vessel purchased by Avon Boating, (formerly GH Rose & Sons), and moved from Bristol to Stratford-upon-Avon

     

     

  • 2017

    Vessel converted to electric drive and new cabin re-constructed form vessel's original blueprints

     

     

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Spray at Waterhead

Registered, built 1920 by Borwick & Co, Windermere

starboard side

Registered, built 1912 by Horshams of Maidenhead, Maidenhead

The King  bow facing

Archived, built 1905 by Bathurst, C, Tewkesbury

Constance in Henley

Registered, built 1895 by Guy, Henry, Cowes