- 1936 PURTON
PURTON was built by WM Yarwoods and son for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co. in 1936, in Norwich, Cheshire.
In 1941 she went through the lock gates at Sandiacre Lock on the Erewash Canal. She remained in long distance carrying until 1962 mainly carrying coal from the North to London area. In 1962 she went into the British Waterways maintenance fleet, in the North East. She was shortened to her present length of 57ft 6ins and she also had the National Engine replaced with the current Lister and a new back cabin.
In 1989 PURTON sold by BW and was then run as West Riding Canal Carriers until she was purchased by private owners in 1998. She still remains unconverted and in the 1962 revamp.
Vessel built by WM Yarwoods & Son for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company
Vessel went into the British Waterways maintenance fleet in the North East
Vessel sold by British Waterways and was then run as West Riding Canal Carriers
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com