Certificate no 2141
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Braunston
Vessel type Town Class Large Northwich
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1936
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
7.00 feet (2.14 m)
Depth
4.25 feet (1.30 m)
Length: Overall
72.00 feet (21.96 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1936 by W.J Yarwood of Northwich as part of a massive expansion programme of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, NUNEATON was fully employed carrying many different loads, mainly between London Ports and the Midlands with backloads of coal from the Coventry coalfields.

NUNEATON moved to the British Transport Commission (Docks & Inland Waterways Executive) in 1948 when the waterways were nationalised, then to British Waterways in 1963, continuing to carry goods much as it had done originally with G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd.

Shortly after the formation of British Waterways Board, the nationalised carrying fleet was disbanded. Many boats' carrying careers ended, but NUNEATON was hired along with about 60 other narrowboats to the newly formed Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd. and stayed in service until 1970 when she was returned to British Waterways and stored, along with several other boats on the Wendover Arm of the Grand Union Canal. Eighteen months later NUNEATON was sold to the Narrow Boat Trust, and restoration of the boat was put in hand, using mostly volunteer labour. Fifty years on, NUNEATON is still working, and maintenance, as with all other working boats, is ongoing.

In early 2020 a survey revealed that NUNEATON’s hull was seriously worn down, to the point where it was unsafe to continue using her for carrying. Significant repair work was commenced but then suspended due to the COVID 19 pandemic. It is not yet clear when she will be back in service, but the Trust are hopeful that it will be in time to attend several events in the summer to celebrate, belatedly, their 50th anniversary and complete the solid fuel run to the rivers Thames, Wey and Kennet in the autumn of 2021.

Key dates

  • 1936 Built by W J Yarwood of Northwich
  • 1970 Vessel returned to the British Waterways Board after 34 years continious work of long distance canal carrying
  • 1971 Vessel sold to the Narrow Boat Trust and underwent restoration

Grants

  • January 2010

    A Sustainability Grant of ú750 for restoration work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Purton - moored

Registered, built 1936 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Kenilworth - moored

Registered, built 1936 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Sudbury - moored

Registered, built 1936 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

starboard side view

Registered, built 1937 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich