Previous names

  • 1960 Ionia
Certificate no 3552
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Bideford
Vessel type Tug
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Dunston, Richard, Thorne
Built in 1959
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
To be confirmed
Depth
To be confirmed
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
98.00 feet (29.87 m)
Tonnage: Gross

History

IONIA was built in 1960 by Henry Scarr Ltd as a single screw diesel tug for William Watkins Limited. She was built to Lloyd’s A1 “For Towing Services” specifications and to the rules and regulations for tugs of class IX. She was fitted with and still has a British Polar type M46M straight 6 cylinder engine and rated at 960 B.H.P at 250 RPM. This is capable of running at about 300 RPM when the tug running free, giving a speed of 10 knots and a rate bollard pull of 22 tons. In 1973 she was fitted with a gear box to replace the original direct drive, meaning she can reverse without the engine being started in reverse. About the same time she also had a Westington House Air Control System installed to allow bridge control, alongside the original telegraph system which could be restored. She worked in London as a Thames River Tug until 1987, when she was sold to the Falmouth Towing Ltd and renamed St MAWES in 1988, where it is understand she worked out of Falmouth. She was then laid up in London after being sold to Anderson's, and came to lay in Bideford about 2002. She was renamed IONIA by her new owner Exploring Life Ltd. She was purchased by her current  owners in August 2007 in order to restore, preserve and share the history of this commercial vessel as a public interest at Bideford Harbour.

Key dates

  • 1960

    Built by Henry Scarr Ltd as a tug for William Watkins Limited

  • 1973

    Fitted with gear box to replace original direct drive  

  • 1987

    Sold to Falmouth Towing Co. Ltd having spent her early working life as a Thames River tug

  • 1988

    Renamed ST MAWES before working out of Falmouth

  • 2002

    Moved to Bideford and renamed IONIA by new owner Exploring Life Ltd

  • 2007

    Purchased by current owners as vessel for public display at Bideford Harbour

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

At the Albert Dock, July 2014

National Historic Fleet, built 1903 by Tranmere Bay Development Co, Birkenhead

Atlantic - bow view

Registered, built 1940 by Harris Brothers, Netherton

Revenge as General Marine at full speed

Registered, built 1948 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne

Regarder - starboard view

Registered, built 1958 by Cook, James W, Wivenhoe