CORONA, together with the butty Coronis, was built in December 1935 by Harland and Wolff in North Woolwich for the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co.'s 'Star' class.
This pair of boats was the fifteenth eighteen pairs of composite Woolwich boats of riveted steel sided construction with elm bottoms which followed 24 pairs of iron sided composite boats. All these formed the Star class.
CORONA passed to the maintenance fleet before nationalism in 1948. In 1960 it was sold for use by Town Thorns School near Rugby and in 1968 was bought by Trevor Maggs who would own it for the following fifty years.
The original National engine was replaced by a Lister HR2 in 1970. The wooden cabin was replaced in steel in 1980 and the elm bottom was replaced with 10mm steel in 1984. Throughout his ownership, Trevor used CORONA for transporting coal on various occasions and the vessel's current owners hope to use the boat in the same way.
Vessel built by Harland & Wolff in North Woolwich for the Grand Union Carrying Canal Co.
Vessel passed to the maintenance fleet
Vessel sold to Town Thorns School
Vessel sold into private ownership
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com