Certificate no 3589
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Rochester
Vessel type Steam Tug
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Chambers, John & Co, Lowestoft
Built in 1925
Hull material Iron
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
14.75 feet (4.50 m)
7.50 feet (2.29 m)
Air Draft
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
Length: Overall
64.00 feet (19.51 m)
Tonnage: Gross


SHEEN was built by John Chambers & Co. of Lowestoft in 1925.  Originally a steam tug, she was converted to diesel in 1962.

She was owned and run by Tough Bros and was one of two tugs that gathered up small boats off the Thames for the Dunkirk evacuations during the Second World War.  SHEEN also went over to the beaches and was filmed returning the little ships after the evacuation.

Still in working order, SHEEN is under private ownership with the aim of being restored to her former glory. 


Vessel Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/sheenthamestug/

Key dates

  • 1925

    Vessel built by John Chambers & Co. in Lowestoft

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Cob moored


Registered, built 1911 by Smiths Dock Co. Ltd. Middlesborough

Challenge in Steam

National Historic Fleet, built 1931 by Hall, Alexander & Company Ltd, Aberdeen.

port side view

Registered, built 1955 by Smith Basin & Dry Docks, Fort Lauderdale, Florida USA