Previous names

  • 1969 Sir Claude Inglis
Certificate no 3624
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Research Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location Benfleet
Vessel type Survey Vessel
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes
Built in 1968
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Twin diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
To be confirmed
Depth
To be confirmed
Air Draft
23.00 feet (7.01 m)
Length: Overall
54.00 feet (16.46 m)
Tonnage: Gross
33.00

History

In the late 1950s a versatile replacement craft was being considered for PODSNAP, a survey vessel operated by the Hydraulics Research Station (HRS) in Wallingford. Along with the National Physics Laboratory (NPL) at Teddington, HRS was part of what was then the Scientific Civil Service, These two establishments often collaborated on projects; on this occasion HRS required a new survey launch, and NPL needed practical generic data for some studies of water craft efficiency they were undertaking. A collaboration was set up where NPL would design the lines and general arrangement of a craft, and HRS would fund the building and decide on her detailed layout. Once launched, NPL would carry out specialised trials to collect all the data they needed.

NPL appointed naval architect David Freeman to do the design work. Freeman spent a few days on PODSNAP to see what features should be incorporated into the new vessel. He was a member of the Cheverton Workboats team, which was well known for the very successful Champ design. At this time he was also involved with Freeward Marine, and was part of the team behind the Fairway Fisher family of motor sailors. The general design of the new launch progressed, with enhancements to suit survey operations. She had reduced accommodation compared to PODSNAP under the foredeck, a large wheelhouse/chart room with large windows, a raised bridge deck over a large storage hold, a tall mast to get navigation/signal lights at a sensible height over the sea, a derrick with electric hoist, and a large clear working area on after deck with transom stern. The power/speed and fuel capacity were all arranged to suit a work pattern similar to that operated by PODSNAP.

The building of SIR CLAUDE INGLIS started at Groves and Gutteridge, Clarence Yard, East Cowes in 1968, as vessel number 629. She was a ‘one off’. When she was at the stage of a bare open hull, consisting of carvel Mahogany on Oak with Cascover Sheathing, and with deck beams only, she was transported to and tested at the Research facility in Teddington. The timber formwork was in the fabrication shop, ready for construction of the aluminium superstructure. The construction was supervised and inspected by a surveyor from the Air Ministry. At this time the Air Ministry were the standards authority for the many RAF marine craft still being built, and HRS was a government establishment.

SIR CLAUDE INGLIS was put into service in 1969. HRS Wallingford Civil Engineering & Environmental Hydraulics continued to use her until around 2009. She was sold to a small surveying firm based in Queenborough, and then briefly to another owner, until purchased by her current owner in August 2013. She is still Category 2 workboat coded and remains original in most respects, performing her tasks with grace and determination. 

Key dates

  • 1968

    Built at Groves and Gutteridge, Cowes, isle of Wight

  • 1969

    Entered service with Hydraulics Research Station, Wallingford

  • 2009

    Sold to small surveying company in Queenborough

  • 2012

    Sold to new owner

  • 2013

    Sold to present owner and fully operational 

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

WATERWITCH - underway.  Port side.

Archived, built 1957 by White, J Samuel & Co Ltd, Cowes, Isle of Wight

port side view

Registered, built 1955 by Tough Bros, Teddington

Conservancy - starboard view

Registered, built 1958 by Brooke Marine, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft