Previous names

  • 1957 - 1975 Valkyrie
  • 1975 - 1986 Thames II
  • 1986 - 2021 Major
Certificate no 3686
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Brentford
Vessel type Tug
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Vokings & Co, Brentford
Built in 1957
Hull material Steel
Rig
Number of decks 2
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
42.00 feet (12.80 m)
Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
Depth
5.60 feet (1.71 m)

History

VALKYRIE was built in 1957 by Vokins & Co at Brentford and fitted out at Bow in London. She was operated by Vokins & Co for work in Bow Creek and the River Lea but she also did work on the River Thames. In 1962 she was refitted at Bow Creek with bulwarks fitted all around the deck and her wheelhouse added also her original funnel removed and smaller one added further forward.


In 1967 she sank at Instones Wharf after being badly moored and as the tide dropped she sank. She was put back into service and in 1975 Purchased by Thames and General Lighterage who continued to use her on the Thames for lighterage work renamed Thames II. During 1986, she was sold again to General Marine and renamed Major for lighterage and civil engineering work. In 2006  VALKYRIE was sold to John Read, Richmond and later to Del Brennan at Richmond in 2010 for private use no longer commercial use.


In 2020 Sold to Richborough Marine in Kent for restoration and will return to commercial use,

Key dates

  • 1957

    Built in 1957 by Vokins & Co at Brentford and fitted out at Bow in London.

  • 1962

    Refitted at Bow Creek with bulwarks fitted all around the deck and her wheelhouse added also her original funnel removed and smaller one added further forward
     

  • 1967

    Sank

  • 1975

    Purchased by Thames and General Lighterage who continued to use her on the Thames for lighterage work renamed Thames II
     

  • 1986

    Sold to General Marine and renamed Major for lighterage and civil engineering work
     

  • 2006

    New owner

  • 2010

    Sold to Del Brennan, Richmond
     

  • 2020

    Sold to current owner

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

At the Albert Dock, July 2014

National Historic Fleet, built 1903 by Tranmere Bay Development Co, Birkenhead

TTMS Viking - underway

Registered, built 1965 by Richards Ironworks Co Ltd, Lowestoft

starboard side view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

starboard side view

Registered, built 1962 by Cook, James W, Wivenhoe