TEAL was built in the 1930s for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway as part of a plan to update and improve their Windermere cruise fleet. She was built by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow-in-Furness in 1936. She was transported in sections by rail, reassembled at Lakeside, and launched on 4 July 1936. Her first passenger certificate was for 877 people on three decks in first and third class accommodation. At this time, she had an open top deck and open bridge, and the main deck saloon had open gangeways running down each side of the main structure. There were no funnels - instead the engine exhausts were led through the lower side of the hull, well aft.
TEAL operated a limited service in the early years of the Second World War, until the end of the 1941 season, when she was laid up for the duration of the war. The service resumed on 16 July 1945. In 1948, ownership passed to the British Transport Commission and subsequently Sealink. In August 1956, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip sailed on her from Ambleside to Bowness. Over the years, she has been modernised several times and became single class.
Source: Paul Brown, Historic Ships The Survivors (Amberley, 2010), updated Mar 2011.
Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995
Ships Monthly: UK Excursion Guide 2000, August 2000
Built by Vickers Armstrong of Barrow and transported in sections by rail to the Lake District
Operated by the London Midland & Scottish Railway
Operated by British Rail/Sealink
Operated by Windermere Iron Steamboat Co. Limited
Operated by Windermere Lake Cruises Limited
Powered by Kelvin diesel engines
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com