Registration number 3791
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Ferry
Location Ullswater
Vessel type Ferry - Passenger
Archive reason More information required
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No

Construction

Builder C.P. Marinecraft, Guernsey
Built in 1967
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
13.50 feet (4.11m)
Length: Overall
49.83 feet (15.19m)
Tonnage: Gross
13.00

History

LADY DOROTHY was designed and built for the Guernsey to Herm service. The Mahogany on Oak hull was built by C.P. Marinecraft at the castle Emplacement Yard on Guernsey, and the superstructure added by Brian Petit. Her overall length was 49'10" , a beam of 13'6". Originally fitted with a 160hp Thorneycroft Leyland engine, and later replaced with a 165hp Perkins series 4. 

Her owner H Renouf named her after his wife. She initially operated from Herm as part of The Combine Sailing from Albert Pier, and carried 96 passengers. LADY DOROTHY then ran for Herm Ferries Ltd until 1993, and from then on for Herm Seaways Marine Ltd (Express). 

In March 2001 she was sold to Ullswater Steamers, making the sailing to Plymouth, then by low loader to Ullswater. She was relaunched on Ullswater on Monday 5th November 2001 after a refit, including new saloon, heating, toilets and fresh water tanks.  Licensed to carry up to 63 passengers, her skippers found her to be particularly fine handling in some of the worst winter conditions the Lake District has to offer. 

In July 2026, LADY DOROTHY was sold to a new private owner. 

We are lacking information on this historic vessel. If you can help update the vessel record, please email us. 

Key dates

  • 1967

    Built by C.P. Marinecraft, Guernsey, for H Renouf and named after his wife

  • 1993

    Before this date, operated for Herm Ferries Ltd, and after that for Herm Seaways Marine Ltd

  • 2001

    Purchased by Ullswater Steamers and refitted before being relaunched

  • 2026

    Sold to a new private owner.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Emily moored Oct 25

Registered, built 1925 by Blackmore, M W & Sons Ltd, Bideford

Coral Star - port side view

Registered, built 1962 by Blackmore, M W & Sons Ltd, Bideford

Independence at Bristol Harbour

Registered, built 1927 by Unknown

Maid of the Firth

Registered, built 1966 by Timbacraft Ltd, Shandon