Previous names

  • 1940 - 1971 Prittlewell
  • 1971 - 1985 Essex Lady
Certificate no 460
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Dredger
Location NONE
Vessel type Grab Dredger
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew
Built in 1940
Hull material Other metal
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
24.98 feet (7.62 m)
Breadth: Beam
24.98 feet (7.62 m)
Depth
6.92 feet (2.11 m)
Length: Overall
100.79 feet (30.74 m)
Tonnage: Gross
145.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

GYPSEY RACE was built for Southend-on-Sea County Borough by Lobnitz & Co. Ltd. as the Prittlewell in 1940. It is believed that she spent the war years keeping the channels to the Thames Forts clear.

In 1971 she became the Essex Lady and was acquired by Bridlington Harbour Commissioners and renamed the GYPSEY RACE. At the time she was extensively modernised and converted from Ruston to Volvo engines. She is used to dredge Bridlington harbour and has successfully carried out dredging contracts along the East Coast from Eyemouth to Great Yarmouth. She has had considerable work carried out on her deck plates and other parts of her superstructure.

We are lacking information about this particular vessel.  If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Sources

Lloyds Register of Ships 1995-6, Lloyd's of London, Volume P-Z, 1995
Lloyds Register of Ships 1997-8, Lloyd's of London, pp1773, Volume A-G, 1998

Key dates

  • 1940

    Vessel built by Lobnitz & Co. Ltd.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

August 2007, Perseverance at Ellesmere Port

National Historic Fleet, built 1934 by Pollock, J Son & Co Ltd, Faversham

Seoint 11 - stern facing

Archived, built 1937 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

ESK - tied up at Glasson Dock. Port side. Ref: 15/esk,gif

Esk

Archived, built 1936 by Robb, Henry Ltd, Leith

GRAB No 1 - at work in Blyth Harbour. Stern from starboard quarter looking forward.

National Historic Fleet, built 1927 by Blyth Shipbuilding Co, Blyth