Previous names

  • 1934 No 14
Certificate no 52
Status National Historic Fleet
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Dredger
Location morcombe
Vessel type Grab Dredger
Current use Museum based
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Pollock, J Son & Co Ltd, Faversham
Built in 1934
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam
Boiler type Locomotive
Boilermaker Marshall, Sons & Co Ltd, Gainsborough
Boiler year 1947
Boiler fuel coal

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
13.74 feet (4.19 m)
Depth
3.74 feet (1.14 m)
Length: Overall
69.97 feet (21.34 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

The grab dredger PERSEVERANCE was built to an 1875 design and consists of a central platform and two side pontoons for stability.

She was built for the Grand Union Canal Company in 1934 by James Pollock & Sons of Millwall, with a 70 foot hull and a crane by Grafton of Bedford. She was used by the Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd (as their Dredger No.14) to dredge the Basingstoke Canal for 20 years, before being passed to the British Waterways Board. On construction and equipping she cost £2451 and changed hands for £225 when purchased by the Basingstoke Canal.

She was then owned by the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust 1967-1974 and subsequently by Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society until 1993, before being acquired by the Museum in 1995.

In 2006, funds were required for the dredger's restoration, to cover work to the hull and mechanical equipment.

Sources

Steamboat Register: An illustrated Register of surviving steam vessels in the British Isles, Steam Boat Association of Great Britain, Edition 6, May 1994 
The Boat Museum, The Boat Museum

Key dates

  • 1934

    Built by J. Pollock, Son & Company of Faversham to an 1875 design for the Grand Union Canal Company

  • 1934-1937

    Used by Morethe Grand Union Canal Carrying Co Ltd (as their Dredger No.14) to dredge the Basingstoke Canal

  • 1947

    Transferred to the British Transport Commission on waterways nationalisation

  • 1947-1967

    Worked on the Shropshire Union Canal

  • 1967

    Transferred to the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust

  • 1974

    Acquired by the Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society

  • 1995

    Acquired by the Boat Museum, Ellesmere Port

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Seoint 11 - stern facing

Archived, built 1937 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

ESK - tied up at Glasson Dock. Port side. Ref: 15/esk,gif

Esk

Archived, built 1936 by Robb, Henry Ltd, Leith

GYPSEY RACE - moored up at Bridlington. Port bow looking aft.

Archived, built 1940 by Lobnitz & Co Ltd, Renfrew

GRAB No 1 - at work in Blyth Harbour. Stern from starboard quarter looking forward.

National Historic Fleet, built 1927 by Blyth Shipbuilding Co, Blyth