- 1922 Skylark
TAHILLA was built as SKYLARK by Thornycrofts at Hampton-on-Thames in 1922. She was commissioned by D Melville Wills of the Bristol tobacco family, to travel from there to his estates in Scotland. One of the Dunkirk Little Ships, she belonged at that time to W Egerton Wilson of Colwyn Bay in Wales, but was kept on the Thames.
After the war, she remained in Admiralty ownership until 1948 and then became a widely travelled and comfortable cruising ship. Eleanor Samuelson owned her throughout the 1960s when she came to know the French canals well and the current owner, who had business interests in the South of France, found TAHILLA there in the mid-sixties and used her as a floating office. He had to rebuild the coach roof over the engine compartment and the after-deck and, fifteen years later, bought her back home where she is now used as a family cruiser in the Solent.
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
ADLS News: Fleet news, Spring 2015
Classic Boat: Tell Tales: Dunkirk trust down, not out, August 2000
Classic Boat: The Little Ships Prepare to Revisit Dunkirk, May 2015
Classic Boat: St George's Crossing, August 2000
Built by Thornycroft at Hampton on Thames for D. Melville-Wills
Requisitioned by the Admiralty and took part in the Dunkirk evacuation
Released from Admiralty service. Owned by W Egerton-Wilson of Colwyn Bay
Owned by Eleanor Samuelson and cruised extensively through the French canals and Mediterranean
Bought by current owner and based in the Solent
Vessel selected for Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com